Out of the shadows
Another "mid-table" performance from the Manager's team this week.
Reina - clean sheet, but no win. Same points as PRobbo, who cost 1/2 as much.
Vermaelan - Nice to have Verm back as Arsenal keep a clean sheet against Stoke. Guess I was wrong to think Stoke's size and aggression would get them at least a goal.
Bassong - Do no harm, indeed. Nothing exciting, but 4.5 from a 5.15 defender is certainly acceptable.
Scharner - 7.5 is nothing to sneeze at, but at different points in the week I had Hreidarsson (18.5!), WBrown (9.5) and Traore (9.5) in this spot so it is a bit disappointing. I love the idea of Scharner - a listed defender playing attacking midfield - but with two road games this week, @Stoke and @Liverpool, I think there are better options for the money. Even if they are actually playing in defence.
Giggs - standout performer of the week. No complaints and I would LOVE to keep him, but I just don't know if he'll get enough playing time over the upcoming double game weeks.
O'Hara - Still love O'Hara. His taking kicks led to an assist and a return equaling his price tag. Prince-Boateng may have been the more popular pick, but for me O'Hara is the man.
Eagles - another disappointment from the POR/Burnley match. Eagles got into good, advanced positions but either didn't get to the ball or wasn't able to do anything with it. He was replaced too early - for my liking - by Guerrero. Still a good bet this week with two HOME matches (Fulham, Arsenal) but there are probably better options available.
Richardson - yuck. I was hoping for the half-decent attacking middie, but thanks to George McCartney's injury I got the lousy left back. An early yellow card and he's suspended for Sunderland's next game.
Rooney - Another Red Devil doing fantasy business for me, albeit only with a late strike. Another Red Devil whom I hoped to keep on my team for a while but whom is now a doubt for at least one game this week. When it rains...
Eduardo - Muscle strain, DNP.
Drogba - He had his chances but unually, he didn't take them.
Other thoughts from around the league:
Portsmouth 2 - 0 Burnley
- Third match in a row that Pompey earned a PK, but KPB didn't take it. Dindane did and based on his lousy miss, he won't be doing it again. Do they need to find another player for the responsibility? Might I recommend O'Hara.
Arsenal 2 - 0 Stoke City
- A Tuncay sighting!
- Arshavin leading the line for Arsenal might be a common sight over the next few weeks. It is certainly an interesting development for fantasy purposes. But at 16 and change, it's a big bet. Of course the last time he went to Anfield...
Aston Villa 3 - 0 Hull City
- Jummy :-(
- Hull are single gamers next week, so this is not the week to look at Hull players, but quietly Richard Garcia has been returning his value week in and week out for a month. Just saying for those of you on Mok or Rodwell as enablers.
- Milner's sweet goal:
Blackburn Rovers 0 - 0 Liverpool
- I want to believe in Liverpool... I really do.
West Ham United 0 - 4 Manchester United
- With West Ham's injury situation, does Diamanti become a viable option for the upcoming games? West Ham have two matches on the road against Birmingham and Bolton.
- Cheaper than Diamanti, and more likely to start - Franco. The ManU game interrupted a nice scoring streak and I have him on my team... tentatively.
Wigan Athletic 2 - 3 Birmingham City
- Pollitt is just a HORRIBLE keeper. If Kirkland is hurt for any length of time Wigan are in big trouble.
- With two home matches, Birmingham defenders are looking like good value for money this week. Dann, Johnson, Ridgewell, Carr and of course Hart.
- I'm not sure I want to bet on the Blues' attack, but Chucho Benitez and Cameron Jerome could be good bets this week. That being said, most of Birmingham's attack has gone through Bowyer and against Wigan, Larsson. So good luck to any of trying to capitalize.
Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 - 1 Bolton Wanderers
- Gomez (for Wigan) and Milijas score. If this were week 1, my team would be outstanding!
Manchester City 2 - 1 Chelsea
- Haven't seen this Tevez since he played for West Ham. Will it continue? Citeh @Bolton and @Spurs. Not great, but if he's going to keep playing like that...
Fulham 1 - 0 Sunderland
- Sunderland need this upcoming home stand badly. They've squandered all the momentum they had beating Liverpool and Arsenal and need to pick it up.
- Reid has done nothing for fantasy managers for a month. Do you give him a chance with two home games this week? One more chance?
- Zamora makes good on his return, which forces Dempsey back into his midfield role. I wouldn't trust Zamora week in and week out, but he's certainly earning a look when the matchup is favorable but Fulham are single gamers so not this week.
Everton 2 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur
- Everton don't give up, do they?
- Defoe's penalty was lousy, but Lampard's was worse.