The Sports Guy chat

ESPN.com: Page 2 : The Sports Guy chat
Keith (Halifax,NS,Canada): What was your take on Zidane's head butt? I can't figure why he head-butted the guy's chest? If you're going to get red-carded, get your money's worth is my motto ...

Bill Simmons: I thought it was fascinating to watch him wipe out two stereostypes at once: That soccer players are wusses, and that French people are wusses. I'm also delighted that the Euro papers hired lip readers to see what the Italian said to him -- you know how I've been pushing for lip readers to replace sideline reporters for the past few years. But I didn't think the Zidane thing was as big of a deal as everyone made it out to be -- 8 minutes left in extra time, and it's not like they didn't have 10 guys left. Plus, their keeper, Paul Shaffer, didn't come close to stopping any of Italy's penalty kicks. They would have lost either way. I'm just excited that Tyson's ear bite on Holyfield finally has a sports rival.
Joe (Philly): I loved the World Cup, and am thinking about continuing to follow soccer through the English Premier League. How can I pick a team to root for and remain a somewhat-principled sports' fan when I know nothing about England?

Bill Simmons: Intriguing question, I have been wondering the same thing. I was thinking about just picking the team that Michael Davies hates the most, just for comedy's sake, but that's too easy. If anyone wants to make the case for an English premier team for me, e-mail me. I might make the leap. Soccer's growing on me, you don't have to pay attention, it's easy to follow, no sideline reporters, no commercials, no annoying announcers, the crowds are fantastic ... there's a lot to like.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:38 PM

    "Keith (Halifax,NS,Canada): What was your take on Zidane's head butt? I can't figure why he head-butted the guy's chest? If you're going to get red-carded, get your money's worth is my motto ..."


    My point exactly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:28 AM

    Apart from the "you don't have to pay attention" bit, he's right on. You better pay attention or you'll miss the only goal of the game in many instances. Its not like American football where you know you can run to the toilet and let out exactly 30 or 40 seconds worth before anything will happen... Anyway, I am considering making up a 'case' for Watford or Reading and emailing him...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you don't have to pay attention of you have Tivo or somesuch. Just look up when the announcer's voice gets louder or goes up an octave. If you missed anything, you can just rewind.

    Not the romantic way to watch soccer, but it gets the job done.

    J

    ReplyDelete