Injuries and Suspensions

Premier League and FA Cup team news - Barclays Premier League - ESPN Soccernet

So, here's the latest rundown that might have an impact on your team for this weekend and beyond...

Arsenal are a bit of a disaster at the back with Song suspended and Gallas and Campbell hurt.  This reduces the value of Almunia pretty significantly - I still think they'll beat Burnley handily but they may do so 5-2 vs. 3-0 or 4-0.  The news is better up top with Diaby, Arshavin, and Denilson all back - my guess is that the impact will mostly be on Walcott and Nasri with Bendtner continuing to start.  The question you have to ask yourself is whether it is worth it to take a risk on someone like Silvestre who may deputize for Gallas/Campbell.  He's not terribly expensive but I don't have a hard time envisioning him getting a card and NOT getting any clean sheet points.

The interesting note for Burnley is the return of Graham Alexander who isn't insanely priced and famously takes PKs to the tune of 5 goals thus far this season.  At 8.20, that wouldn't be bad business.

Not much insight from Bolton on which of their midfielders (MTay, Weiss, Wilshere, etc) might get most of the minutes across their two matches.  If I had to guess, I'd say that Wilshere is the best bet for big minutes but I'm certainly not saying that with any confidence.

ManYoo's match-up with Wolves is interesting with Rio and Nani back from injury and suspension respectively while Giggs and Owen are out and Rooney is listed as "doubtful" with a knee injury.  Unless you're positive Rooney is going to start then I'd go with Torres or Gerrard for the money as that is too much money to have sitting on the bench if there is actually a real worry that he won't play.  Wolves would be a reasonable spot to rest him (although I wonder if the League will fine ManYoo for fielding a diminished line-up if that's the case).  If Rooney is out, Berbs value increases dramatically as he will theoretically be the focal point of an attack that should have plenty of chances.

Cahill is listed as "being in contention" for Everton but he hasn't trained yet so I'm guessing that he'll be a substitute if he plays at all.  Saha is ruled out which presumably means that the Yak will get a start at striker.  Otherwise, the big questions are which midfielders (I'm including Donovan in this group) between Donovan, Pienaar, Bily, Osman, and Arteta play? and where do they play? and who takes the majority of the kicks? I have to admit, I'm really not sure what the answers to those questions are.

On the Hull side, Jummy "could start" which means you have to consider him for fantasy purposes.  At the very least, you should be thinking BD because at his current price, he's a huge bargain if he's back at even 3/4 of his previous form.

Looks like Liverpool's defence is going to be somewhat intact with GJohnson coming back from his long term injury, Agger shaking off his knee injury from last week, and Kyrgiakos back after his suspension.  If all three are present, then Reina is better value than I was thinking when writing TWA.   Agger is still good value as is Kyrgiakos.

Good luck with your selections.

16 comments:

  1. Valencia, Rooney, Nani..who of them will play ? I guess only Fergie knows :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carbon3:49 PM

    Damnit Jim!!!!
    Took the crapper for Roo last week and now it looks like it may happen again! Even at 16.10 I don't think I can absorb another 0. When would the official word be released and would there be time to change my team? According to YFF fixture page, Roo is slated to play, but I never really trust them. Anyone???

    My team:
    Almunia
    Bale Hutton Fox
    Fab4 Bily O'hara Lee
    Roo Lando Fletcher

    Almunia- even with the depleted back line, I still think he's the pick for the rest of the season given their schedule.

    Bale- I'll take the 0, he stays til the end. Nuff said.

    Hutton + Fox- I think everybody has these 2...

    Fabs- obvious pick, in good nick so I expect a healthy return and I hold him at 18.61

    O'hara- he's been good to me, always seems to pick up pts and return near his cost and may feel the need to prove something.

    Lee- don't know much about him, kind of a bandwagon pick.

    Bily- everybody is picking Arteta and Bily seems to be lost in the shuffle. I think he's due and I need to throw a few curves to make up ground in my group (in 2nd place by 120 pts).

    Lando- see Bily...

    Fletcher- concerned about how his injury will affect him, could very well switch to Big Bend, still vacillating...

    Roo-????????????????? I'm dying here, c'mon guys, throw this dog a bone!

    Good luck to everybody, this week seems to be a crapshoot. Any input re: Roo and Fletch is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. richard_pitts4:09 PM

    Yakubu or Nani? I'm worried about Man U resting people ahead of Milan on Tuesday, especially as Wolves would be the team to do it against.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @3:49

    If it gives you some perspective, I have Drogba at 18 and have no intention of moving him even though he doesn't play. Haven't thought twice about it. And if I had Rooney at that rebate I wouldn't think twice about leaving him in there either. These are the weeks where you need to plan for the future as much as the week itself. You'll thank yourself next week when Rooney is still there for that price hosting Fulham -- and with all the BD options coming up, it's cap room you could certainly use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Carbon - There's nothing wrong with, possibly, taking the 0 on Rooney. You've seen what the kid can do and you've had him at his best, time to repay the man and show some faith...believe me if I were you I wouldn't even think about it. Hope that inspires you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neil, Jeremy, Everyone,

    I really need help here:

    Should I switch to Gerrard from Torres, which would help me upgrade Jussi to Howard (who has a better chance at a clean sheet+points, even if Jussi has two games)?

    HELP PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:08 PM

    Clichy/Billy vs. Sagna/CCole I am at a standstill.The rest are Howard Hutton Fox Gerrard Arteta Catermole LeeCY Torres and Bendtner. Any advise anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:20 PM

    I would go for the Gerrard switch Chet. 1.Torres is fragile 2.Middies traditionally are safer points 3. Bolton on the road without cahill 4. Hull second fewest away goals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:48 AM

    Shud i get Lee, arteta or klasnic??? Any1,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:09 AM

    I need a quick advice:

    Eagles+Valencia
    or
    Nani+Arshavin
    ?

    SF

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Anonymous (11:20 PM):

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:13 AM

    Eagles not guaranteed 2 matches. Nani or valencia 50-50...

    @SF

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ 1:48 AM,
    Lee is the surest starter for Bolton, is capable of getting points and has 2 games. Klasnic may get just 1 game, and not perform too well; and Arteta, I'm just always iffy about him.

    @ 3:09 AM,
    Arsenal have an awesome run of games from this week onwards, and that is important at this stage of the season. This only would make me go for Nani+Arshavin. Also, with Rooney a little of doubt, Nani MIGHT turn his game on. Valencia is mostly effective when he has Rooney's head as a target.
    Eagles is a little of a doubt, plus he'll be against Arsenal in Burnley's first game.

    Good luck to all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous4:25 AM

    Thx Chet... I think i will get both lee and arteta(I gotta feeling he will somehow shines)..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4:38 AM

    Team set...

    Verm/Bale/Hutton
    Arteta/Delap/Lee/Fab
    Torres/Bendtner/Berby

    Taking a bet on berbatov since i'm a ManYoo Fan :)

    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous7:04 AM

    tinywirral line up.
    t.howard
    bale verm fox hutton
    gerrard artet maxi lee
    torres klasnic
    thats a kick ass line up i think!

    ReplyDelete