Injuries and Suspensions


Just a flesh wound.

Premier League team news - Barclays Premier League - ESPN Soccernet

The team news is still coming in but there's still plenty to report...

There are suggestions that Silvestre will partner Sol Campbell for Arsenal which - if you ask me - diminishes the value of the entire Arsenal back line including Almunia.  I'd feel much better with Song/Campbell with Denilson or Diaby holding than I would with Silvestre's corpse combining with Campbell's ghost with Song in front of them.  On the plus side, Arsenal should have Bendtner available to start which is a great sign for the attack.

Across North London, the team report indicates that Pav may only be ready for the bench - not sure what they're basing that on since he seemed quite effective in his mid-week test.  If you're worried that he won't start because a) he's a risk to be re-injured or b) because Spurs are playing Pompey and should be able to beat them with any line-up they throw out there then you'd probably be better off with Bentley/Eidur or Bentley/Crouch than with spending a ton of money on Pav.  Not sure what I'm going to do on this topic yet.  Probably will make a change late in the day that I'll regret when the matches start.

Oh yeah, SeaBass is also a question mark and Corluka appears to be out.  Not sure there's much to be made of the central defender pool but Kyle Walker might be a great and inexpensive play at right back for the low-low price of 5.93. 

In ManYoo news, looks like the Rooney injury scare was just a media creation than a real risk this week (at least according to SAF's most recent statement).  Looks like Rooney should start and keep ManYoo pushing toward another title. (and no, I'm not trying to jinx them in any way with that statement, really, I'm not).

Dunne...Milner...Heskey...Gabby...all in doubt for villa as they travel to Chelsea.  There was some healthy debate on the Live Chat last weekend over the depth of Villa's squad and whether they had added enough to make a realistic push for 4th.  I'm sorry I don't remember who was taking the optimistic view for Villa but seeing this list I have to re-iterate the point that I (and many others) have been making for the last few years...Villa are too thin at key positions and tend to wear down during the home stretch.  The above injuries - if they cause absences or mediocre play from the above gentlemen - mean that Villa have no spine to their team as their best central defender, best (and only) attacking midfielder, and two of their three best strikers would all be out or functioning well below their potential.  And who exactly are the alternatives? Cuellar moving infield with one of Villa's fullbacks (Beye or Luke Young) deputizing works well but there is N...O...T...H...I...N...G... behind Milner/Heskey/Gabby if they were to be out.  I don't want you to get the idea I'm hating on Villa, I actually like them and hope they do well but I'm trying to be realistic about their squad.  When you compare the reserve options at Villa with those at Spurs/Everton/Citeh - their main competition for the 4th spot and Europa Cup places - then Villa comes up wanting.  Same can be said of Liverpool - the depth just isn't there and there is too much dependence on a few key, very skilled players.

At Hull, Stephen Hunt and Andy Dawson are doubts while Jozy Altidore should be back from injury.

My read on Zamora is that he should be healthy after having severe cramps in mid-week.  Really? Cramps? Couldn't Fulham/Hodgson have come up with some better excuse for him coming out of the match that would have preserved Bobby's manhood a bit?

THo will have a late fitness test for the match against Wolves - a major concern for those of you who have him at a huge discount and want to keep him.  I'd guess he'll make it but at least something to think about.

At Chelsea, Carvalho is added to Ivanovic, ACole, and Bos to give the training room a fantastic starting defence.  Looks like JT, Alex, Yuri, and Paulo will be the starting quartet (Villa fans can ponder that for a minute when they want to discuss squad depth). 

Finally, Citeh who face an N'Zobgia-less Wigan but will have their own concerns over Ireland (a doubt but not ruled out entirely ruining both his own and SWP's value).  K2 is back from suspension so they do have that going for them, which is nice (I guess).

Good luck.  I'm on the road and hope to have a Live Chat going tomorrow but am not sure how late we'll get to go.  Will definitely be there for the early match but am uncertain after that as the in-laws will have their say in the planning process.

Cheers - Neal

14 comments:

  1. With Nelsen and Givet fit, does that mean that Salgado won't play? Not really familiar with Blackburn.

    I like the Walker suggestion but he is not certain to start due to an ankle injury. Bassong isn't certain either. Sounds like Spurs defense is an iffy proposition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why wouldn't 'Arry play BAE at right back and Bale at left back? Then he could field Modric, Kranj, Bentley and Palacios. That could also free up the room for THud to play in defense if SeaBass is indeed out. Makes sense to me, but I guess there's a reason I'm not the manager.

    My concern is whether to stick with Tevez in attack (at full cost) with K2 back. Tevez seems to perform poorly when K2 is the focal point, but I'd have to move things around to get from Tevez to Torres, which would be my other choice up front with Drogs and Bendtner.

    As of right now:

    Jensen
    Bale Hutton Jagielka Vidic
    Malouda Arteta AJohnson
    Drogba Bendtner Tevez

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Gavin - I was thinking the same thing about Tevez, he just doesn't produce fantasy wise when Adebayor is playing. I think I'll make the switch from Tevez to adebayor and use the extra cash to upgrade Bassong to someone else, can't risk anyone not starting...I had Ballack/Belleti last week(a zero and a zero for a Double, funny).

    Gavin, in your case I guess you can downgrade Jensen to Myhill, and use the extra cash to go Tevez to Torres. Well that's what I'd do but it's on you man.

    @Neal/Everyone - What are the chances of Adebayor starting for City on Sunday??? Thanks all

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pav is a concern because he felt that his hamstring is tight. This is AFTER he played the 2nd half and scored in the FA Cup victory over Fulham. I think Harry will save him for another day.

    And I really don't think Walker will play, on the bench maybe. Walker is inexperienced, and he has to overcome an ankle injury in the first place. Kaboul seems likely to take the RB position, he has played there on a couple of occassions.

    The other alternative, as mentioned by Gavin, is BAE as he played in the position once in an FA Cup tie. That is a possibility, more so If Bassong is out. Then Kaboul will probably start in CD and BAE on RB.

    Palacios played in the FA Cup tie with a tear in his groin and due a late fitness test as well. So if Palacios don't play, the MF could very well be Bentley, Modric, Huddlestone, Kranjcar, with Gudjohnsen and Crouch up front.

    @gman26: Salgado plays RB, Nelsen CD and Givet can play either CD or LB. If Nelsen and Givet is fit to play, then the backline will be

    Sagado (RB), Samba (CD), Nelsen (CD), Givet (LB)

    This means that Olsson (listed as a defender) will be pushed forward on the LW. Rather expensive to be considered now, otherwise would be a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:12 PM

    is DUnn fit?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:37 PM

    @Saul

    I bet Mancini will fields his strongest squad to face Wigan. My guess is Tevez-Adebayor upfront with DeJong-Barry-AJ-Bellamy on MF.My gut is telling me that Viera will start, so Barry switch back to left back and drop Garrido to bench. RSC will sub Ade for last 10-15 mins.

    TT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:12 PM

    I always have trouble to find a good goalie for my team. My choices are Jensen/Brown/Given. My current lineup: Jensen, Hutton-Fox-Vidic, Modric-Arshavin-AJ-Veira, Drogba-Adebayor-Gudjohnson.
    Any comments? I thinking about switch Jensen to Given and downgrade Adebayor to Crouch.

    TT

    ReplyDelete
  8. According to Blackburn site Dunn is fit and ready to go against Burnley.

    http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10303~2006816,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:16 PM

    HELP!

    Is it a sound idea to let Gerrard go and bring in Benayoun AND Barry? Do you think those two together have a better chance of gathering more points than a single Liverpool captain?

    -cvb

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Sulldaddy - Thanks on the update for Dunn, that's great news.

    @cvb - Benayoun has been on my radar, I just don't know if Benitez will give him a chance from the start...I'd say Gerrard is the way to go, takes corners and penalties, should bring back more than his value vs. Sunderland.

    So far my team is...

    Myhill
    Bale/Jagielka/Fox(he's back in contention)
    Bullard/Modric/Gerrard/Dunn
    Torres/Bendtner/Crouch

    Wanted to go for Gudjohnsen instead of Crouch but if for some reason all this hype about Pavlyuchenko being injured turns out to be a fake...I can't go wrong with Crouch, he's played every single game this season. I'm kinda bummed I don't have more Tottenham in my team but the uncertainties that lie withing the players makes it so, injuries, rotation, blah blah...don't care much for it. Good luck to all and please feel free to comment on my team, suggestions are always welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neal - There is no 'early' game tomorrow. All matches start at 8am PST/11am EST.

    I don't think Harry will risk Pav if he doesn't need to. O'Hara won't be playing, who has been Pompey's best player. so it >should< be an easier game. I can see Pav sitting on the bench as an unused sub as Spurs trounce them.
    If Walker is unfit I DEFINATELY see BAE at RB and Bale at LB. Kaboul could be an option. plus he shoots from anywhere on the pitch.
    Gudjohnsen I think is good value.
    I got:
    Given
    Verm/Bale/Hutton
    Arteta/AdamJonhson/Cesc/Gerrard
    Drogs/Bendtner/Torres

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading the 'Team News' Does Pompey have ANYONE left to put on the field? Tommy Smith (nose), Tal Ben Haim and John Utaka (both groin), Nadir Belbadj (hamstring) and Papa Bouba Diop, Kevin-Prince Boateng and Hassan Yebda (knee) are all sidelined.

    I'm thinking of switching Gerrard->Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6:04 AM

    What should I improve

    Given
    Bale, vermaelen, ferriera
    Aj, malouda, modric, maxi
    Drogba, torres, adebayor

    Pls suggest.
    Vr

    ReplyDelete
  14. Which chelsea player to make captain this wk?

    ReplyDelete