MLS Interlude



It is a difficult time to be playing MLS fantasy as the NY Red Bulls don't play again for two weeks. So one can't just load up on whomever is facing them. Though to be honest, that didn't really work out so well for me last week. Cummings did get an assist, but Kimura came on as a sub so he didn't earn the clean sheet points.

So what to do? Well, who's next on the crappy list above NYRB? That has to be San Jose. Last week I picked up Christian Gomez against the Quakes and he came up huge with two goals. This week it's Seattle who visit the Bay Area. Montero is back in the line up and gets the captain's armband with Donovan idle. I've also brought in Kasey Keller who has come down in price recently. San Jose are struggling and Ryan Johnson, their leading scorer, is a doubt for the match. Road team or not, I'm liking Seattle's chances in this one.

Joining Montero and Cummings up front is Ali Gerba. I've been tracking him since he signed for TFC last month. He had a good Gold Cup and scored against the Crew in his MLS debut last week. Surprisingly, he's a minimum priced player at $175K, down $75 after a debut game goal. Huh!?!? Regardless, I'm happy to finally get him in the fantasy team.

My last trade is one for this week and beyond. I'm dropping the idle Becks (insert your own 'more than usual?' joke here) - who actually came through with a helper for me last week - and adding MLS' own Ironman, Steve Ralston. He has put up points in his last two matches, and the Revolution have three (I think) games in hand on the rest of the league. They are at home to Toronto this week, which isn't a bad match-up, then host LA, before a week off and then two-games @SEA, RSL. We'll see who gets healthy for the Revs over the next few weeks, but Nicol might be a good pick up at coach if you have the trades and the cash to make it happen.

1 comment: