Another MLS interlude



If you'll forgive our stateside fixation on our Premier League blog, but today is decision day for those of us playing fantasy Major League Soccer. With Gold Cup in full swing, injuries and suspensions mounting and the odd schedule quirk it's a tough week to pick.

First of all you have a lot of good players on international duty. We've certainly written enough about that. Injuries and suspensions are another matter. New England is missing half its first team through injury and the Red Bulls have half of their first eleven questionable. Houston is going to be stretched really thin. Not only are they missing defenders Robinson (long-standing injury) and Barrett, and Waibel but Hainault is on international duty with Canada and their starting center backs, Geoff Cameron and Bobby Boswell, are both suspended for the road game against Seattle. They should have Clarke back in the midfield so Mulrooney can cover at fullback, but that's a bandaid. So I'm dropping Onstad and picking up Frei (TFC@SJ - not ideal but he was on the bench so it doesn't burn a trade) in net. And at forward I'm hoping Montero can continue his hot streak in front of goal. One note of caution before you pile in on Sounders, they have an exhibition match with Chelsea next week so they don't play in the league.

I've saved my trades for the midfield. I dropped my two FCDallas middies (who didn't do anything for me last week against the Red Bulls) and I've had to bench Pontius as DCUnited are off this week. Finally I sold Kandji as he's injured. That means Brad Davis keeps his place by default even though he's been a points black hole for a month or more. And in come Pappas and Blanco from Chicago. They're home against Columbus this week and home again next week to San Jose. I'm not thrilled about those two, but there are so few quality midfielders actually playing this week because of all the above reasons.

The last midfield spot goes to Mike Magee, who's always been a blog favorite even though his MLS roots are with NY/NJ. Hopefully he can keep his place in an improving Galaxy side (I'm thinking he stays at attacking mid and Landon Donovan, who is my captain again this week, goes back to forward for now) against the struggling cross-town Goats.

Finally at forward I'm dropping GBS for Ryan Johnson. I'm unsure of this move, but going for the home team as the tie-breaker. That and if Frei can't keep a clean sheet, maybe it will be RJ who gets the points. So he's the pick for a hedge.



No comments:

Post a Comment