Football. Futbol. Soccer.



Time for another look at the rapidly (oops, MLS pun alert!) approaching week in MLS fantasy. The game week begins tonight at the Galaxy travel to NY to take on the Red Bulls. Of course this game is David Beckham's return to MLS after his very successful stint with AC Milan and the recent contrversy around Grant Wahl's Beckham book and Landon Donovan's statements therein.  Last time Becks had prime time in NYC he lived up to the hype in the Galaxy's 5-4 win over the Red Bulls, and I'm thinking that both he and Landon Donovan are sure things this week. And that's even though they're the road team in a league where things are always stacked in favor of the home team. To get them I've had to sell Mike Magee, whom I would still recommend as a fantasy option. Especially as he's cheaper than the two big stars and I think he'll keep his place. Kirovski, not so much. However, you can only have three players from a team on your fantasy team and I've got Omar "OG" Gonzalez as an ever present in the back line. OG is also interesting as his height makes him a target on set pieces. Look for the Galaxy to go to him or Buddle if they can.

Saturday we have the meat of the schedule, including Toronto FC hosting Houston (who are still struggling against injuries and call-ups); Chicago hosting San Jose (who just traded away another striker - Pablo Campos this time. What can they be working on?!?!?); the Crew without the hamstrung Guillermo Barros Schelotto (that's a good injury tip right there!) host RSL; and DCUnited host the Rapids. Finally Sunday sees struggling Chivas make the cross-country trip to play the struggling Revolution. I think that last one is a stay away match unless you're in for either team's defenders.

For me, other than the LA three discussed above, I'm brining in Casey to replace Montero whose Sounders have a friendly against Chelsea rather than a league match this weekend. (Will Montero remain in the MLS much longer if he can put on a good show against one of Europe's biggest clubs? I would guess not.)  Casey is on the road, but I'm going to gamble that DCUnited misses Jankovic, who is still at the CONCACAF Gold Cup with the Canadian national team.  GBS stays on the bench and Ryan Johnson (who else can San Jose run out at forward?) keeps that spot in the line-up.

In midfield, I fianlly sold Brad Davis who made me look silly in wanting to sell him last week - albeit happy I didn't - with an early goal. I also sold Marco Pappa (although I don't necessarily recommend that you do), but kept his Fire teammate, Chuatehamoc Blanco. In comes Dwayne DeRosario on the "scoring against his old team" corollary and Chris Pontius who was benched last week as DC United didn't have a league game.

In goal I'm again going with Stefan Frei over Pat Onstad. They are head to head this weekend and I just have to give the nod to Frei as he's on the home side.


No comments:

Post a Comment