Wrap-up, Part One...

(...of many I'm guessing). Well done to Jeremy who won the battle for second and would probably have done so by even more with his second choice squad for the week whereas I played Norwich to his Fulham - completely uninspired. At least it won't cost me 18 million pounds. Some random thoughts...

1) I'm on the Lampard bandwagon as much as anyone but I was shocked to see that he DID NOT finish first among Premiership midfielders in goals. That honor would go to the somehow overlooked Robert Pires who started 27 games to Lampards every single minute of every single game. Granted, Pires is not the player he was a couple years ago, and he has fewer responsibilities in Arsenal's system than Lampard has at Chelsea but I'm not sure I'm ready to give Frank the "best midfielder in the world" title just yet when a) he's probably not the best midfielder on his team (Robben has a much bigger impact when healthy); and b) Pires produces nearly as much in far fewer minutes.

2) After a late surge, my man, Dennis Bergkamp finished the season at 8 goals and 11 assists. Not bad for an old man who played in about half of his team's games/minutes. Here's hoping for one more year.

3) Not having had the chance to watch any of the action over the weekend, I have to say that even 24 hours later, I'm still stunned that Norwich failed to show up against a Fulham team that had no reason to be doing anything but scheduling tee times (or tea times, I suppose). The six goals they recorded on Sunday represented 12% of their goal output FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON!! (just for perspective, each game in a 38 game season represents about 2.5% of the season). Think the Fulham fans are wondering where the hell that effort/outcome has been all season?

4) Nice to see T-Ho getting an additional 2 years at OT. Granted its a mess up that way these days but its still nice to see that they still see the talent there and are willing to let him mature.

5) Sorry, Kate, but my intuition tells me that ManYoo will regret the commitment they just made to Giggs. He was effective in spurts but not consistently healthy enough. Seems like the time that SAF in his prime would have sold Giggsy off to a less savvy manager in need of a brand name for his off-season efforts (Tottenham anyone?).

6) Let the Dean Ashton-to-Arsenal watch commence in earnest!

7) Wonder what the hell I'm going to do with all the free time I have now

8) At least next season starts early because of the World Cup.

Look for more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment