Send me an Angel

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - MAY 24:  Juan Pablo Angel #9 of the New York Red Bulls celebrates his goal in the 3rd minute against the Chicago Fire at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands on May 24, 2007 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Mike Stobe/Getty Images)

Juan Pablo Angel continues to settle into Major League Soccer very nicely. After his goal and assist last weekend won him "Player of the Week" honors, he adds two goals and another assist in NY's win over Chicago tonight.

I haven't seen the match - and to be fair it seems that Chicago had chances - but the Fire need Rolfe back quickly. Against Real Salt Lake would be nice. Especially because I put him in my MLS fantasy lineup hoping he'd make that game, even if, as expected, he'd miss the NYRB match.

Credit where credit is due time -- the MLS fantasy game allows you to designate a captain each week who will earn double points. Yahoo! did this in their World Cup game last summer. It adds a really interesting wrinkle to your decision making and to your rootings. For example, last week Neal and I both had Kenny Cooper in our fantasy sides for Dallas' two games. But Neal made him captain and I didn't. So when Cooper scored the penalty against Chicago I wished he hadn't - even though he was ON MY TEAM! It's a very odd feeling.

I'm happy to report that the tables were turned tonight as JPA was my captain and Neal got a little taste of his own medicine. At least until the weekend when Cooper lines up as captain of Neal's team again. But then I get to root against him whole-heartedly.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:45 PM

    Wow. It's fascinating to read as you two transition from the high stakes universe of Yahoo! EPL fantasy to the mundane "domestic" game, as you've dubbed it. But trust me, I need my fix of fantasy info, so I'm not complaining. Let me make one request though. As an American, I know very little about the teams that will be promoted to the EPL - other than the fact that Roy Keane is a born winner. After the Championship play-off, can you do a sort of fantasy preview of what owners can/should expect from Birmingham, Sunderland, and Derby/WBA? Also, do you think Sunderland can carry its momentum into the "silly season" by acquiring some fresh names?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:58 AM

    ok I know absolutely nothing about Major League Soccer, but I've had a look at the fantasy site (very user un-friendly) and got myself a squad, so lets see how a fantasy junkie gats on in an alien sport!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:59 AM

    that should read "gets on"

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an odd game. Goals for and against is basically it. That plus wins, assists (which can add up with MLS' two assist rule) and minutes played.

    We're so used to pouring over the game stats, but you really only ever need to look at the box score.

    ReplyDelete