Non-footie-related thought

We interrupt this fantasy football blog for an entirely unrelated thought...

I was caught off-guard this morning by an email from Microsoft and it has me really sort of stunned that people still talk about the Internet as a new thing.  I was innocently scanning emails in my Hotmail account when I came across one that thanked me for 10 YEARS as a "customer" (hard to really consider myself as a customer of something that's free but I suppose they make money off of me so I guess I am).

Anyway, it got me thinking about the fact that a) I wasn't even really part of the first wave of Hotmail users (before they were purchased by Microsoft); and b) 10 years is a long time to be calling something "new".  My first reaction was a personal one - wow, I'm old... 

My second reaction was a professional one.  If anyone wants to know why media as an industry is crumbling the answer is that they have consistently found excuses not to experiment and figure out how to make digital integral to their business.  Instead they have let digital happen to them and are now at the mercy of how the market has evolved and are paying the price in declining revenue and bankruptcy. 

We now return you to your previously scheduled morning/afternoon of off-season rumors, pre-season results, and line-up shifts.


1 comment: